After gassing up Pete in Salem, Virgina ($68.50, 23.96 gallons), we got on the road at 9:32am. I drove the first 269 miles to 12 miles west of Knoxville, Tennessee where we had lunch and gassed up again ($81.68, 29.18 gallons). We’ve been getting about 10-12 miles to the gallon. If you ask me, Pete needs to work on his endurance.
I guess Pete didn’t eat his apple today, because we had to call Dr. Pen again!! This time, the back tire of the car trailer went flat, while my dad was driving around 4:54pm. He walked back to the last mile marker we saw, while I stayed in the car to collect the information we would need to call Dr. Pen again. Unfortunately, we were not behind a DD this time, but approximately 11 miles from the closest small town. It was pretty humid, so we left the truck to get some air. It looked pretty cloudy out west and we soon discovered from a emergency radio report that a huge storm would be blowing through within the hour (60 mph wind gusts, heavy rain, low visibility, etc.). Long story short (and trust me, there is a much longer story), we sat there for over 4.5 hours until someone finally came to change the trailer tire. We watched the storm pass through and finally got back on the road around 9:15pm. Penske is going down! Since, we had lost approximately 6 hours between yesterday and today’s incidents, we drove all night to make up some time and distance we lost.A few random statistics …
During our long wait, we counted semi-trucks for “fun” or maybe I should say out of boredom. You might be interested to know that 67 (east bound= 34, west bound= 33) trucks went by between 5:05pm-5:15pm CST on I-40 in Tennessee.
I saw three deer on the side of the road in Arkansas.
Travel Day Two--
States Visited: Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma
The Day’s Beginning Mileage: 18689 at 9:32am, July 21
The Day’s Ending Mileage: 19783.2 at 9:53am, July 22
Driver(s): Amanda Marble and Dad Marble
Cell Phone Conversations: Gramps and Nana, Mom Marble, Robert x 2, and Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment