Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe adopted the motto "Less is more" to describe his aesthetic tactics of flattening and emphasizing a building's frame, eliminating interior walls and adopting an open plan, and reducing the structure to a strong, transparent, elegant skin (emphasis mine, wikipedia).
I like the concept of "less is more." Can you imagine what would happen if we applied Mies van der Rohe's motto to our own lives in the coming year? I believe we would find ourselves more focused on what is really important and ultimately reducing the clutter around us -- uncovering our true self -- "a strong, transparent, elegant skin."
In the spirit of "less is more" ... here is a list of 8 things I plan to do less of in 2008:
8- Spend (less) time on Facebook
I waste a lot of time on Facebook-- in the name of "keeping up with people."
7- Spend (less) time checking my email
For some reason, I think the more I check my email, the more email will arrive. It probably doesn't help I have four email accounts either. First things, first ... reduce the number of accounts.
6- Eat (less) sugar and white flour
This will be a hard one- I love breads and sweets. But, I know I will feel better if I make the change.
5- Spend (less) on non-essentials
Before each purchase, I need to ask the question "Do I need this or just want this?"
4- Watch/listen to (less) television
Living by myself, I tend to have the t.v. on for "company" -- I would like to fill that void in other ways.
3- Keep around (less) paper
Keep the necessary, shred the rest-- everything from cards, scratch pad thoughts, bills, newspapers, etc.
2- Worry (less)
Matthew 6:31-34
1- Bake (less), cook more
Using my new recipes books, I want to cook (meals) more and bake (goodies) less.
2 comments:
Great challenges for 2008. Wishing you the greatest success.
Hey Amanda,
those are some great eights! I particularly like the book list. I've heard great things about Everything Must Change, and In the Name of Jesus is short...but jam packed in typical Nouwen fashion. Hope you're doing well!
Peace,
Jeff
Post a Comment