Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Are you 'emergent'?

There is a lot of talk around the church today about the "emergent church" .. I must say, I have found the thoughts of this "movement" practicial and honest. You might enjoy taking this self test and seeing where you land.

-----------------------------------------
Your congregation meets in a home (+1)
Your congregation meets in converted strip mall (0)
Your congregation meets in white clapboard church on the wrong side of the tracks (-1)
-----------------------------------------
You worship with candles and homemade songs (+1)
You worship with an overhead projector and worship band (0)
You worship with a hymnal and Hammond organ (-1)
-----------------------------------------
Your sermons have one memorable picture (+1)
Your sermons have one memorable point (0)
Your sermons have ten points that even you can't remember Monday morning (-1)
-----------------------------------------
Your hero is Brian McLaren (+1)
Your hero is Bill Hybels (0)
Your hero is John Maxwell (-1)
-----------------------------------------
You're indefinable (+1)
You're "pomo" (postmodern) (0)
You're modern (-1)
-----------------------------------------
Your church is "missional" (+1)
Your church is "seeker friendly" (0)
Your church is "mainstream" (-1)
-----------------------------------------
Your ministry emphasis is relationships (+1)
Your ministry emphasis is attendance numbers (0)
Your ministry emphasis is membership requirements (-1)
-----------------------------------------
Your focus is the world (+1)
Your focus is the local church (0)
Your focus is yourself (-1)
-----------------------------------------
You like mystery (+1)
You like systematic theology (0)
You like black and white categories (-1)
-----------------------------------------
You wear sandals (+1)
You wear sneakers (0)
You wear wingtips (-1)
-----------------------------------------
You consider yourself emergent (+1)
You've heard of emergent (0)
What's emergent?! (-1)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't actually "take" the test per se, but I read through it and found it interesting...do I get doubley negative points because I didn't know any of the guys who were supposed to be "heroes?"
Oh, well ast night was great, and I look forward to the next several tuesday nights! Wooohhhhoooo book club!

peace,
jeff bergeson

Amanda said...

Jeff,

Knowing you ... you would fall into the Brian McLaren category. He is a great author! And I highly recommend his books, particulary "A New Kind of Christian." Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

I definitely appreciate the idea of an emergent church, but I can't believe that wingtips are inherently evil... :)

Missy J

Amanda said...

Missy J,

So good to see your comment ... not all wingtips are bad! Just depends who is wearing them.

J.R. said...

What if I am a snake charmer, can I be emergant too?

P.S. - Most churchs that call themselves "post modern" are actually post-post modern. Post modern has been dead for 10-15 years.