Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"...I would walk 500 miles...I would walk 500 more"

I've never been the most athletic person.  In high school, while my two good friends played varsity basketball, I chose the "lifetime sports" of tennis and golf. And, running ... only if someone is chasing me! Yet, I do have a bit of a competitive streak, particular with myself and have a goal of "running" a 5K this year and being overall more active.  
My latest accessory!
So, this Christmas I got the perfect gift (thanks, mom and dad) to help nurture my personal competitiveness and my desire to be more attentive to my personal well-being ... a FitBit Flex. It is a bracelet that I wear 24/7 that syncs to my iPhone that tracks my steps, mileage, active minutes and sleep. I can also manually track my water and food intake, weight and specific physical activity beyond walking/running. I have set a number of specific goals for myself (like 10,000 steps a day) and throughout the day I can check my progress on the bracelet (each light = 20% of my goal) or through the app. I've been wearing it steady since the first part of January and I'm learning a lot about my activity or lack there of.  The biggest lesson ... you have to be intentional to get in 10,000 steps when you sit at a desk all day. As my competitive spirit has kicked in, I find myself taking the long way to a meeting just to get more steps in.  It has been addicting!  Care to join?  If you get a FitBit product, we can be "friends" and compete against, I mean encourage, each other.

No comments: