Last week, I grabbed Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline off the shelf and dived in. I've read the book before, but thought it was time to refresh my understanding of the disciplines and how I could apply them in my life.
I recently finished the chapter on prayer and thought I would share a few of my favorite insights/quotes: "Listening to God is the necessary prelude to intercession."
Have you ever wondered how you should prioritize your prayer life? Foster suggests "The inner sense of compassion (for others) is one of the clearest indications from the Lord that this is a prayer project for you. In times of meditation there may come a rise in the heart, a compulsion to intercede, an assurance of rightness, a flow of the Spirit. This inner 'yes' is the divine authorization for you to pray for the person or situation. If the idea is accompanied with a sense of dread, then probably you should set it aside. God will lead someone else to pray for that matter."
"Perhaps the most astonishing characteristic of Jesus' praying is that when he prayed for other he never concluded by saying 'If it be they will.' Nor did the apostles or prophets ... they obviously believed that they knew what the will of God was before they prayed the prayer of faith."
"Flash prayers ... to see anybody will be to pray! To hear anybody, may be to pray!"
1 comment:
There are 63 people in the U.S. named James Caines.
There are 4,991,477 people in the U.S. with the first name James.
Statistically the 1st most popular first name.
That's kind of cool, although the site told me there are 0 J.R.'s in the United States.
Post a Comment