Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words

California Firestorm -- those two words really explain it all (although the pictures below really do it justice). Early Sunday morning, I received a text message from Pepperdine requesting students, faculty and staff living on-campus to relocate to the student center, as a fire had broke out in Malibu Canyon (the canyon I drive to/from work). I immediately jumped out of bed, turned the t.v. on and sat glued there most of the day.

Here are some pictures from my students to show what live looked like on Pepperdine's campus that ill-fated Sunday morning...
1) Fire coming over Malibu Canyon ridge onto campus
2) Orange glow/smoke covers ocean view
3) Across the street from my office building
4) Cars in lower parking lot (I park in lot just above)

As a former RD, I will admit I've had my share of crazy experiences. And even since moving to California, I experienced my first earthquake. But, there is nothing more helpless than watching a fire consume familiar landscapes and buildings. The fire impacted roads in and out of campus, so classes and work were canceled Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, it was time to get back to a bit of normalcy. I took one route into campus and another route back home (as my first route closed again due to an accident). Trust me, the feeling that I should have stayed home another day did cross my mind. Today, Malibu Canyon opened and the canyon walls are black and lacking life. My heart aches for those impacted by the fires. The events of the past few days are just so surreal. Join with me, in praying for those throughout California that have been impacted by the fires.

A few additional pictures from my students ...

1 comment:

Bec said...

Some pretty amazing pictures. I don't even have words to express the sick gut feeling I have. I am just glad that you are safe!