Sunday, March 30, 2014

Spring Break

It seems like the semester just started, then it was time for spring break.  Yet, I was ready for a break. I love the rhythm of the academic calendar -- work/study hard, Christmas break, work/study hard, spring break, work/study hard, summer break. Even though I don't completely live in the student world with their breaks, I still love the rhythms -- it keeps me centered and helps me maintain momentum through the year.

For spring break this year, I decided to leave campus and the state of Idaho and head to Washington to visit family with my parents.  It was a nice change of routine.  I needed time to get away from it all and regroup after a busy start to the semester.  I enjoyed connecting with family -- my great aunt Faye (complete with Wii bowling at The Manor), my cousin Marissa and her boys (keeping up the DQ tradition), cousins Nick and Tom, my Gramps and Nana (no burnt marshmallows this time) and my Aunt Dru and family.
While in Yakima, we ate a George's Wok and Grill (a must for our family when back in Yakima) and enjoyed a YiaYia afternoon complete with a visit to Starbucks, Inklings (Yakima's independent bookstore) and a pedicure. After time in Yakima, we headed over White Pass to High Valley for a few days... three long days in fact, as upon arriving we discovered broken pipes in the cabin due to the harsh winter.  If it wasn't for the roof over our head, the heat and cell phone coverage, it would have been roughing it! As frustrating as it was, it allowed us to hunker down and in my case, read!  I got through Jesus Feminist, Twelve Years a Slave, Paleo for Beginners, my Bible reading (trying to wrap up a 90-day plan, that has turned into a 6 month plan) and Bittersweet

No comments: