Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Twitter, what?

I took the technology plunge and started "tweeting" through Twitter.   What is Twitter you ask?Twitter's home page says it best: "Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co-workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?"  Yes, it is similar to a status message on Facebook, but also, as I've come to find out, very different.  Basically, you get 140 characters to write whatever you like ... a status update, a link to a great article or noteworthy item, breaking news, etc.

I'm a "tweeple" (a person who twitters) -- yes, Twitter has its own language.  Not to worry, one does not need to know it to participate.  I just wanted to share a few words to show how crazy the Twitter phenomenon has become.  One of the people I follow suggests four advantages to twittering.  I have to agree.  Twitter has opened up my network.  I "follow" and have "followers" all over the world, relating to a variety of interests and topics.  For instance, I follow seven of my co-workers, Barack Obama (and John McCain), various news organizations and people interested in books, leadership and career development.  I know you are dying to know, how do I sign up?  May I suggest this Beginner's Guide to Twitter.  It will get you started and if all else fails contact this tweeter (tweeple singular).  Best of luck!  

1 comment:

Kristy Hilton said...

I know it's not, but twitter sounds like an online dating service- you have to admit it would be a cute name for one:)