Fast forward to November ... and life has never been the same since!
Here is the relatively short and sweet recap ...
In early October, Zach (my brother) called to share the latest NNU gossip... "The Director of the Career Center was retiring by the end of first semester." This was intriguing news as I had been exploring the idea of returning to Student Development, specifically career development whenever the timing came together to pursue a new position.
The weeks following my brother's phone call, I prayed (hard!), contacted the current Director with lots of questions and wondered if it was really time to return to the Great Northwest.
On October 20, I decided to apply for the position. Within a week, I had been called by NNU requesting an on-campus interview.
On November 6, I flew into Boise, stayed with Zach and Sarah and prepared for my interview the next day. It felt good to be back on campus. In addition, it was Homecoming weekend, which made it a bit awkward running into fellow alumni, as my reason for being in town wasn't Homecoming per say, but a special treat nonetheless.
On November 12, I was offered the Director of the Career Center and two days later I accepted. It was very difficult to share my news with my dear colleagues at Pepperdine, but the time had come to move on.
I spent November 25-30 back in Idaho looking for housing. Conveniently, it was Thanksgiving week, which a few months prior I had committed to spend at Zach and Sarah's house with my parents. Isn't God's timing good?
--November 25- Looked at places to rent in Nampa
--November 26- Looked at places to buy in Nampa-- My first look at THE home!
--November 27- Thanksgiving Day -- the traditional dinner and a movie
--November 28- Took at second look at THE home, along with a few other duds
--November 29- Made an offer on THE home
--November 30- Flew back to SoCal -- minutes after landing I found out THE home was soon-to-be MY home!
December 1-12 marked my last two weeks at Pepperdine University. It was a busy few weeks -- finishing work, packing my apartment and pulling together details for the move and home purchase. December 12 was my last day at Pepperdine and the day my dad flew into town to help me with the move.
On December 13, we literally watched as two professionals packed Paul, my rented Penske truck. By afternoon, we said goodbye to Woodland Hills and headed to the Henck's home in Azusa for the evening.
December 14 marked the day I officially said my goodbyes ... to Mama and Papa Henck and SoCal and hit the road. My dad and I made it as far as Winnemucca, Nevada and decided to call it a day. On December 15, we jumped back in the truck, now covered with 3 inches of fresh snow and headed north. It was a matter of hours and we had arrived in Idaho.
December 16 marked THE day! I met Bob (my dear friend and realtor), Lance (my ICCU lender) and Megan (from Pioneer Title) and closed on MY first home. With keys in hand, my dad and I head to MY place. Once we arrived, the camera came out, the picture taking began and we both reveled in the fact this was MY home! A few hours later, two guys from LaborMax Staffing (Zach's business) came to unload Paul (the Penske). Once again, it was well worth the money to have someone else load/unload my belongings. I have decided that packers/movers are one of those must-haves in life, along with real peanut butter and 2-ply toilet paper.
With my belongings now inside MY home, on December 17, I drove my dad to Yakima to reunite with my mom and where I would stay through the Christmas holiday.
Following a wonderful time of relaxation and Christmas festivities, it was time to return to my NEW life in the Land of Nazarenes and Sugar Beets, so on December 28 my brother and I caravanned from Washington back to Idaho. Four days later, with 2009 having just begun, I started my new job as the Director of the Career Center at NNU.
So, although my blog has been quiet, my life has been nothing but! More insights on owning a home, stripping wallpaper and life at the Naz to come ... I promise, sooner than later.
2 comments:
WHAT??!!! You are here and just down the street! I am coming to campus tomorrow and tracking you down!
I am exhausted!
Post a Comment