Saturday, May 14, 2005

Graduation Day

On Wednesday afternoon, May 11th I flew from Boston to Pittsburgh to attend my commencement at Geneva College. I went to work that morning, with plans to pack before heading out of town. One of my RAs was prepared to take me to the airport at 2:15pm, so I would be ready to make my 4:15pm flight. However, thanks to Orbitz I got a call around 12pm that stated my flight had been delayed to 1:30pm. My face went white ... I looked at my co-worker Amy in horror, jumped out of my office chair and ran to my apartment. You see, I was supposed to get into Pittsburgh at 4:15pm, not leave Boston at 4:15pm. As you can imagine, I never packed so fast in my life. I had received the phone call, packed and was headed to the airport in less than 15 minutes. It was definitely a test of my personality and packing skills. However, the story has a good ending ... I got into Pittsburgh on time, with my parents there ready to meet me at the curb.

On May 12th (Graduation Day), my parents and I went to the Higher Education graduate luncheon. It was a special time with members of my co-hort and faculty. Following the luncheon, I took my parents to Handel's for ice cream. I had my favorite called "Spouse Like a House"- vanilla malt ice cream, with chocolate covered preztels filled with peanut butter. It is wonderful! Then, we spent sometime relaxing, then headed back to graduation. I am really glad I made the effort to come back to Geneva for commencement. It was really special. As we walked in, the aisles were lined by the graduate faculty and bagpipes played the processional music. During the diploma portion of the ceremony, we each walked up, shook the hand of Geneva's president, who handed us our diploma folder (empty, of course), then we walked over to the center of the stage to be hooded. Following the hooding, we got a professional picture taken with the director of our program. After graduation, the higher ed folks headed to one of our faculty's home for a party.

The next morning, a very early morning, my dad took me to the airport so I could fly back to Boston. You see, it was a busy week ... within a hour of arriving on campus I was back to work making sure my students were taking care of busy (e.g. moving out the hall). Within the week, it will be time for summer to begin around ENC.

4 comments:

andrew said...

Congratulations, friend! Great to hear about your trip to Geneva. Glad you enjoyed it. I've got a graduation coming up too :-) Tuesday, June 7 at Adams Field at 6:00 p.m. Hope you can make it...enjoy your day!

Marble Madness said...

Nice work Sis! I remember when you started that program I thought you were going to get to visit Switzerland. I guess you really would not have made your flight in that case. I guess I'll have to work on my graduate degree now, so we can be on the same intellectual level. Enjoy.

J.R. said...

Congrats Amanda! Thats awesome!

Andrew & Lisa said...

Amanda, It is nice to catch up with you via your blog. I'm so glad that things worked out for you to attend your graduation. Way to go! :)

~Lisa